Saturday, September 26, 2009

New Title = New Responsibilities

The picture above is me on August 24th in front of the ice bridge at one of our intakes.


So I have now been “Environmental Manager” for over a month now and every day I tend to ask myself “what am I doing here?” Being environmental manager has its highs and lows; I really haven’t found the highs yet. I am supposed to be working a schedule of 10/4 which means 10 days on and 4 days off. This schedule would not be so bad if I was able to actually stick to it.

I came into camp on the 9th of September and have not left yet. It looks like I may have a window of opportunity to leave on October 8th, so I would be here for a total of 30 days. No big deal right? Well usually when I work 30 days I get 12 days off. But with my new job I only can be gone for 4 days at a time. Did I mention that I can’t leave during “sensitive works”? Definition of “sensitive works”: Any works that is done in or about water or has a negative impact to the environment. I don’t know if you knew or not but I am working on a hydro project and so we are usually always working next to water.

I am hoping that with these sacrifices that I am making for the company that it will be rewarded in the end. On a positive note this does mean that I will be banking a lot of days and maybe in the winter time I will be able to take a couple of extra days off. Or just at the end of the project I will be cut a fat check to pay off my banked days.

Now that the vent is over; don’t get me wrong I really like what I do I just wish I could have a little more of a work to life balance. I am hoping that we get another shutdown over Christmas so I can have 2-3 weeks off again; but there are rumors of only having 4 days off in which case I might question even coming home…

ONE YEAR DOWN, ONE TO GO!
Then who knows what? Yukon? Ontario? Michigan…
I think I might of found a new career, this is me welding (please note: my weld was better then the field engineer's weld).

No comments: